Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New horns for large format from GPA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member jasminphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2009
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    New horns for large format from GPA

    Hi, I just went through Bill's web site and noticed that there are now two large formats horns available from Bill. They weight the same and priced the same. The difference between them are the materials and the angle of the horns. The web site does not tell us how they differ in sonic character and I wonder has anyone has the opportunity of testing them side by side? Also, how would I choose one from the other if I were to purchase them?

    fallot

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,863
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: New horns for large format from GPA

    They're identical to the ones Altec produced, in size and performance.

    Most people use the MRII594A (90 x 40) for home use.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: New horns for large format from GPA

    The MRII594A 1.4" was produced for the A-5 in 1993 The MRII994A 1" for the A-7 with a 515
    Woofer. THe 511 is still produced .The A-15 also used an MRII994.

    What is missing is the Horn for A-8 And the MR 94 for 817 cabs or A-5 and the MR 945A for the A-10 . The EV equivalent is no longer listed on their web site.


    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ro/1993-36.JPG


    2

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,863
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: New horns for large format from GPA

    Yes, the 511B is still available new from GPA - I'm working on a spec sheet for it, along with a whole new set of literature and a new page for the GPA website for GPA's "Classic Series". New pictures of the horns will be taken soon, too.

    I personally doubt if the MR994A will become available again, as one can adapt the MRII594A to it easily with a 21216B Throat, also now available from GPA.

    The MR931-12 is currently available from GPA, doesn't cost much, and is a great horn for DIYer's who want to build Model 14's, 9849's, or other home hi-fi speakers. They are also great for use as Floor Monitors when used with a 909 and a 12" woofer, such as the GPA 3124 or 3127.

    You'll never see the re-labeled EV horn with a 1.4" throat for the Altec drivers again, IMO.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New horns for large format from GPA

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    ...I personally doubt if the MR994A will become available again, as one can adapt the MRII594A to it easily with a 21216B Throat, also now available from GPA...
    True, but the beauty of the 994 is the short length, allowing it to fit inside a reasonably sized box. Add the adapter to the longer 594, and "in the box" goes "out the window".

    (The fact that a pair of 994s is all I lack to fill out a 2nd set of M500s has, of course, little bearing on my opinion...)
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New horns for large format from GPA

    I am hoping to spring on a pair of 994's myself.......



    -chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.